Gateway of India is located in Mumbai at Colaba district, this unique landmark overlooks the Arabian Sea. Gateway of India marks one of the busiest ports in India and is the major tourist attraction..
It is famous for its Indo-Saracenic style of architecture. The famous Taj Mahal hotel and Elephanta caves are located near it. If you have come to take the tour of Mumbai city, then you cannot miss visiting the Gateway of India.
As a tourist if you think about ‘Mumbai’ then first image that comes to our mind is Gateway of India. There is no doubt about the fact that Gateway of India is synonymous with Mumbai.
Some Facts about Gateway Of India:
- This monument was built in 1924. The primary objective behind its construction was to pay homage to Queen of Bombay (now Mumbai) and King George V on their visit in 1911.
- The first foundation of Gateway of India was laid by Governor of Bombay, Sir George Sydenham Clarke in March 1911.
- The construction of this monument was began in 1915.
- The architecture is designed by George Wittet.
- The building was constructed with indissoluble concrete and yellow basalt. It had a large arch in its design .
- Gateway of India is built in Indo-Saracenic architectural design. There are some elements of Muslim architectural designs as well.
- The work to reclaim the land for building Gateway at Apollo Bunder was started in 1915. The construction was started in 1919 and it finally got completed in 1924.
- The inauguration ceremony was carried by the Viceroy of India, Rufus Isaacs, Earl of Reading on 4 December 1924.
- The total expense to construct the Gateway of India was approximately 20 Lakhs.
- The land on which this monument is constructed was earlier called ‘crude jetty’. This land was used by fishing community but was later reclaimed by the Britishers.
- The last British troop left India by passing through Gateway of India in a ceremony on February 28, 1948. This ceremony signaled the end of British rule in India.
- There is a statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj near to it. This statue was introduced on 26 January 1961. .
This was all about the Gateway of India in Mumbai. Wish you enjoyed reading it.
Gateway of India is a must visit a place as it not only has a beautiful architectural design but a fascinating history as well. Before to go there just search your tickets online and book your Flight ticket, train ticket and bus ticket and you no need to visit a local office to receive your ticket or wait to have it delivered ,simply print your receipt.