Do you want to make your first meeting with podiatrist stress free? Perhaps you have already consulted a general specialist who must have prescribed you few medications and that did not cure your problem. Then he must have suggested you to take appointment with a podiatrist. Whether you need to consult a podiatrist for neuropathy, diabetic foot ulcers, plantar fasciitis, tendinitis or any other problem, here are few tips to meet your doctor for the first time.
Before taking appointment
Before you meet any podiatrist, you may visit the website piedreseau.com and gather few information about podiatrist and what kind of problems they treat. Then you need to collect few materials and notes that you need to carry with you.
- A copy of your insurance authorization and referral
- Type of shoes that you wear
- In case of any injury then the shoe that you were wearing in case of injury
- Medications, vitamins and supplements list
- Medication allergies and anesthetics list
- Complete medical history like any surgery done before hospitalization record of medical problems
- Your symptoms and concern list
- Medical records like radiology reports laboratory results etc.
You may call the doctor and ask him what else will be needed.
On the day of appointment
After collecting all the papers as mentioned above, you must reach the clinic 15 to 30 minutes before your appointment hour so that if there is a need to fill up any forms. During the appointment you can discuss the following:
- Discuss about your immediate problem
- If the symptoms have changed from the time when you consulted with another doctor then you must let this be known to podiatrist
- In case you are pregnant then let the podiatrist know about it and show all the medications and allergies
- After the podiatrist examines your feet, ankles he would like to see the shoes that you generally wear. By looking at your shoes the podiatrist can make out biomechanics of your feet.
- Doctor may ask you to sit and then walk which is also part of the examination
- Listen carefully what the podiatrist asks you and provide the right answer. In case you do not understand his question well then ask for clarification
After examination, the podiatrist may prescribe few medicines and may ask you to meet him after few days. He may also recommend physiotherapy if needed. He may ask you to get X-ray, ultrasound or MRI depending upon the condition of your feet. After that he will give you necessary treatment.