Many people are arguing about the role of credit cards in today’s society. Some say that having credit cards is not good for a person’s financial stability. They argue that they would only cause them to have unwanted debts. On the other hand, others say that they can actually help with one’s credit score. In addition, they offer perks that can actually help with their lifestyle.
Now, you might belong in either group. Still, even if you don’t want one, you might need one in the future. So, you go and fill up a credit card application online and hope it gets approved.
Interestingly enough, there are a few steps you can take to help you apply for a top credit card in the Philippines. Learn more below.
Look for the best card to suit your lifestyle
There are so many cards out there for you to choose from. In fact, one provider offers many kinds, which can be super confusing if this is your first one. This is why it is highly suggested that you do your research to see which card would fit your needs best.
Ask yourself some questions: What is your main reason for getting a card? Are you going to use them for travel purposes? Or simply a backup plan when you find yourself cashless?
Check all the requirements needed
Once you’ve chosen, it’s now time to visit the bank or their website to check what requirements you need to pass in order to be approved. For your reference, here are a few examples:
- You must be at least 21 years old; you cannot be more than 70 by the time the card expires.
- You should be a Filipino citizen.
- You must work or live in an area where a branch of your chosen bank is located.
- You should be employed or self-employed for a minimum of 2 years.
- Your annual income should at least be P120,000 as an employee. If you are self-employed, you should be annually earning at least P400,000.
- You must provide a means for the bank to contact you: 1 mobile phone and 1 landline.
Complete all the documents
Submitting the necessary documents is your next step in your application. Here are some examples of the documents the bank might ask from you:
- Completed application form
- 1 valid ID with photo
- For Employees: Latest ITR with BIR stamp, BIR Form 2316 with your employer’s signature, Certificate of Employment, recent payslips
- For Self-employed: ITR with BIR stamp, Registration of Business
File your application
Have you prepared all the necessary documents?
If yes, then it’s time to file your application. For this one, you can go to the bank’s branch in your area or, if this option is available to you, you can file it online—so you can avoid the lines on the bank!
Wait for the status of your application
After you’ve submitted your application, it’s really just a waiting game on whether the bank or the credit card provider will have it approved. Usually, it only takes a couple weeks for them to do so. We highly suggest opening up your phone lines and checking your email for the confirmation.
Listed above are the steps on how you can apply for a top card in the Philippines. Be sure to follow them and submit all the necessary credit card requirements for BDO or other providers to ensure your application gets approved.